Start Date: 4/19/2023 8:00 AM EDT
End Date: 10/24/2024 4:00 PM EDT
Venue Name: PASA Office Location:
2608 Market Place
Harrisburg, PA United States 17110
AASA and PASA are excited to offer a new cohort of a premier professional development program for superintendents, developed by superintendents, based upon the AASA National Superintendent Certification Program®.
The AASA’s National Superintendent Certification Program ® is a dynamic, interactive professional development program held both in-person and virtually, over 18 months. From navigating board relations to legislative advocacy and effectively building your vision for educational leadership in your district, this program will challenge your critical thinking skills and expand your toolbox.
Throughout this program, you will meet with experts and colleagues at the PASA headquarters in Harrisburg where you will actively participate in sessions and topical discussions. You will be paired with an experienced superintendent who will provide mentorship throughout your journey.
Here is what past attendees have said about the program:
Dr. Chris Marchese, superintendent of the Avon Grove School District in Chester County, “The AASA National Superintendent Certification Program® provided me with broad perspectives to address daily, weekly, and long-term planning. It expanded my network of colleagues beyond the region, providing me with a cadre of resources and a network of leaders who could help talk through situations that only superintendents understand.”
Dr. Amy Acurio, superintendent of Greater Johnstown Area School District in Cambria County, “I thoroughly enjoyed the program and learned and grew professionally in ways I had never imagined.”
Dr. Bridget O’Connell, superintendent of Palisades School District in Bucks County and 2022 Pennsylvania superintendent of the year, “As a participant of the PASA cohort of the AASA National Superintendent Certification Program® I had the opportunity to learn and grow as a leader which ultimately benefited the students in my district. Through shared reading, discussion, reflection and laughs with my superintendent colleagues, I was able to develop a meaningful action plan to prepare our students to be career ready. I would recommend this program to any superintendent that is interested in improving their leadership skills in an inspiring and collegial environment. “
Dr. Brian Troop, superintendent of Ephrata School District in Lancaster County and 2023 Pennsylvania superintendent of the year, “Choosing to be a part of the AASA National Superintendent Certification Program® is a decision you will never regret!”
Note: Participants must be a sitting superintendent or hired for the 2023 -24 school year and a current PASA member.
What to Know:
Program cost: $4,500 for PASA/AASA Members | $5,000 PASA members who are not AASA members
- Ethics and Professional Norms
- Promoting Equity and Cultural Responsiveness
- A Vision for Educational Leadership
- Board Relations, Policies and Procedures
- The Superintendent and the District’s Communication Plan
- Organizational Culture Building
- Engaging Families, Businesses, Government Agencies, and the Community
- The Superintendent as the Instructional Leader
- The School and System Improvement Process
- Social Emotional and Academic Learning: Building a Community of Care
- Professional Capacity and Community in the Learning Organization
- Operations and Management
- Legislative Advocacy
- Culminating Project and Reflections
The program includes:
- The ability to earn 105 Act 45 PA Inspired Leadership (PIL) hours.
- The opportunity to collaborate with and learn from a group of colleagues from across the state.
- Facilitation by a 22-year superintendent, Jim Scanlon, recently retired from the West Chester Area School District, to act as Lead Teacher throughout the program.
- Instruction by nationally recognized superintendents as guest speakers.
Session 1: April 19 & 20, 2023 (In-person)
Session 2: June 21 & 22, 2023 (In-person)
Session 3: December 6 & 7, 2023 (Virtual)
Session 4: April 10 & 11, 2024 (In-person)
Session 5: June 19 & 20, 2024 (Virtual)
Session 6: October 9 & 10, 2024 (In-person)
In-person sessions are held at the PASA Office:
2608 Market Place, Harrisburg, PA 17110
How to apply:
Click Member Registration to apply!
Note: Submitted applications will be reviewed by PASA’s Executive Director on a rolling basis.
Once approved for the program, you will receive notification from PASA. Enrollment is limited to 25 participants. The registration fee of $4500/$5000 will be invoiced upon acceptance. Registration fees may be split into two equal payments.
Deadline to enroll: Friday, March 24, 2023
- Participants must be a sitting superintendent or hired for the 2023-24 school year.
- Participants must be a current PASA member.
- Submit resume for review by Dr. Sherri Smith, PASA Executive Director.
- Resumes can be sent to Aubrey Kyler, Professional Development Admi. Asst. at firstname.lastname@example.org.