New Superintendent Induction Program
PASA is the “premier professional organization that cultivates and sustains Pennsylvania school system leaders.” The District Superintendent position is a complex, high-profile job with a broad range of job responsibilities. Starting as a new Superintendent can be very overwhelming during that initial year, presenting a need for support and mentoring.
PASA’s New Superintendent Induction Program will provide needed support and guidance for beginning Superintendents to help them succeed with the transition into the Superintendency. This program facilitates a working relationship between the Superintendent and an experienced Mentor that allows for open and private discussions and provides resources to sustain school system leaders.
WHAT IS PASA’S NEW SUPERINTENDENT INDUCTION PROGRAM?
This new program will include the following parameters:
- A Mentor will be matched with the leader for twelve consecutive months for the Comprehensive Program or as otherwise determined by the selected Program option.
- Regular contact Mentor/Superintendent meetings as needed to:
- review current progress and identify next steps throughout the year to accomplish the Superintendent’s desired results.
- assist with effective practices for communications with School Boards (e.g., agendas and information for school board meetings)
- assist with effective practices for working with the District’s Administrative Team
- assist with effective practices for communications to staff, parents, and the community.
- address current issues and concerns within District.
- review and help prioritize typical monthly tasks for Superintendents to accomplish, including budget development.
- Mentor will attend at least one board meeting (more if requested) to gain perspective of board and community climate (if part of the developed program).
- Mentor will attend at least one administrative team meeting (more if requested) to observe and advise as needed (if part of the developed program).
- Mentor will be available and on call for the leader to discuss any items or issues the leader is experiencing.
HOW DOES ONE PARTICIPATE IN THE NEW SUPERINTENDENT INDUCTION PROGRAM?
The program is open to PASA members who are current or acting Superintendents. The Superintendent applies to participate via the PASA New Superintendent Induction Program Application that requests information about the Superintendent, the Superintendent’s District, and the Superintendent’s desired result(s). The application will be reviewed and approved by the PASA Executive Director.
HOW DOES ONE BECOME A PASA MENTOR?
PASA will develop a list of mentors who meet the following minimum requirements:
- Served as a successful Superintendent, having served for at least 5 years (preferably in the same District)
- If a retired Superintendent, has remained current in education policy and practices (working in some educational leadership capacity in the past 3 years.)
- Approved by PASA Executive Director as a Mentor.
Prior to working with a Superintendent, Mentors must participate in the PASA provided training program, as well as a refresher networking session with other Mentors annually thereafter. These sessions will be offered free with the understanding that the Mentor will agree to mentor at least one Superintendent during that year.
HOW WILL THE PASA MENTOR PROCESS WORK?
PASA administers the program via the management of applications, assignments, program contracts, billing, training, etc. The Superintendent will submit a signed program application to PASA. The Mentor will sign a contract and complete the required training with PASA prior to the start of the program.
Additionally, networking sessions will be facilitated by PASA’s Director for Professional Development and will focus on the concepts and competencies within the PSEL and PIL Standards, and current topics/needs of the participating Superintendents.
OPTIONS FOR NEW SUPERINTENDENT INDUCTION PROGRAMS
There are two (2) options of programs available to New Superintendents based on their specific needs and time allotment.
- Comprehensive Program - $7,200 for 12-month program.
- Minimum of 24 Mentor/Superintendent contacts during twelve-month program
- Costs are based an average of 10 hours per month of contact and communications, during Comprehensive Program.
- Total cost is $600 per month, $7,200 per year.
- Consolidated Program - $3,600 for full 6-month program or reduced 12-month program.
- Costs are based on an average of 10 hours/month for 6 months or 5 hours/month for 12-month program of contact and communications during Consolidated Program.
- Total cost is $3,600 for the program.